A straight razor shave is a luxurious experience that many men enjoy, but few have experienced. Some heard how their grandparents or fathers used to have them and they fancy that look. In this article we will do a deep dive on the benefits and why you should include it in your weekly routine.
What is a straight razor shave?
A straight razor is a type of razor that’s been around for hundreds of years. It’s also known as a cutthroat razor because, well, it can be a little dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. Keep in mind that learning how to use one of these is an art that your father and grandfather probably learned, and it’s part of the everyday tools of good barbers.
It’s important to know that it takes a lot of practice and patience to get the hang of using a straight razor to shave your beard.
A step-by-step guide to how to give yourself a straight razor shave
- Prep your beard: Before you start shaving, make sure your beard is clean and soft. You can use a hot towel or take a shower to help soften your beard.
- Apply shaving cream: Use a shaving brush to apply shaving cream or soap to your face. Make sure to use a good amount of lather, as this will help the razor glide smoothly over your skin.
- Hold the razor: Take the straight razor in your dominant hand and hold it at a 30-degree angle to your skin.
- Shave with the grain: Start by shaving in the direction of your beard growth.
- Rinse the razor: After every pass, rinse the razor blade in warm water to remove any shaving cream and hair.
- Stretch the skin: Use your free hand to stretch the skin taut, which will help the razor glide smoothly over your face.
What’s the difference between shaving with a trimmer and a razor shave?
Using a trimmer will help you achieve a specific length for your beard or hair. Usually, trimmers have adjustable guards that allow you to choose the length you want to trim. They can be used to shape and outline your beard or mustache.
The purpose of a razor is to provide a clean, close shave. Razors have one or more sharp blades that are used to remove hair close to the surface of the skin. They’re great for getting a clean shave on your face, legs, or anywhere else you want to shave.
What are the benefits of getting a straight razor shave at the barbershop?
- A straight razor shave is the closest shave you can get because the blade is sharpened to a razor edge and held at the perfect angle by your trusted barber.
- A straight razor shave is a true barbershop experience. It’s a chance to sit back, relax and let your barber work his magic. The warm towels, soothing shaving cream, and expert technique combine to create a luxurious and indulgent experience you won’t soon forget.
- It’s a chance to pamper yourself and indulge in a little self-care. It’s a chance to take a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and focus on yourself for a little while.
- It’s a chance to connect with your barber and build a relationship. Over time, your barber will get to know your skin and hair type, your preferences, and your personal style, so you can get the best shave possible every time you visit.